Monday, December 6, 2010

Films 20-11

20. Land of Opportunities

This is cheating because it's actually two films, Dogville and Manderlay. Both by Danish director Lars von Trier and both in a style I haven't seen in any other film. Almost no set, like a stage play and mostly narrated. John C Reilly was in the second film, but he left when von Trier actually slaughtered the donkey on set for the movie. Ya, we're in strange territory here, but two very good films commenting on the nature of small town folks, racism, and more. Supposedly there is a third film coming out. I eagerly await.


19. The Brothers Bloom

Another movie that I almost left off for being too well-known, yet kept it because it should be a lot more popular. There is so much commentary on being who you want to be versus who everyone else wants you to be. The film is about a con game, but really, it is saying that we are playing a con when we put on a mask for the world. On top of that, it's just a cool story about family, love, and gamesmanship.




18. Irreversible

Don't watch this movie. Seriously. It has graphic gay sex scenes, an excessively long rape scene, and very graphic violence. I can't recommend this to anyone. However, it makes No. 18 on the list for a reason. I really like how they approach the subject of being connected to your past.

...but seriously, don't watch it.



17. Revolver

The first time I watched this movie, I didn't really understand the ending. I liked it because it was classic Guy Ritchie. Style, fast talking gangsters, cool shots, and interesting characters. It's actually a smart movie, even if it is a bit pretentious. You can enjoy it if you're just looking for a simple action movie, but you can also enjoy it if you're one of those people who like to read way too much into films.




16. Blindness

As I mentioned for one of the earlier films in this list, I love movies with an isolated environment. I also love sci-fi films that only exist in future worlds while being about the people. This film has a good combination of both. I loved the way it approached the relationships between people who could relate most to one another and the deteriorating relationship between the blind man and the woman with sight. Once again, I've heard this movie didn't do the book justice, but for me it stood pretty well on its own.


15. Malice In Wonderland

More fast talking British gangsters for this list. This time, a twist on the classic Alice in Wonderland. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of the movie, but I was surprised in how well it was executed. All the characters are very interesting, the dialogue is done very well, and the overall feel of the movie had me gripped from the beginning. You're not going to learn any life lessons, but it's a very enjoyable twist on a familiar story. A plus if you know the Alice in Wonderland story, but not necessary.


14. Primer

A shining example of why talent goes further than a big budget. This film was made on $7000 and is one of those most brilliant movies I've ever seen. I've only seen it once, and I need to see it again to look at all the angles. It is a very interesting look at time travel. Lots of movies try to tackle the parodies that go along with time travel, but this movie does it better than any other in my opinion. This isn't a fast-paced movie, and you'll need your brain when you sit down to this one, but it's well worth it.


13. Noriko's Dinner Table / Suicide Club

When you watch the first movie, Suicide Club, you might think it's a gimicky movie that is based on people killing themselves in funny ways. Yes, it is funny, but there is actual value to these films. The end of Suicide Club left me very confused, which is why I checked out Noriko's Dinner Table. It really clarified both movies for me and left me with some good commentary on how we decide our role in society and how we should not accept a role, instead we should be ourselves and strive for individuality. Some interesting humour and some good social commentary from one of my favourite Japanese directors Sion Sono.

12. The Pusher Trilogy

Nicolas Winding Refn's second entry on the list, which is actually three movies. Each movie follows a different member of a Danish drug ring. Each movie gives a gritty, yet real look at the lives of these individuals, not as drug dealers, but as human beings. Being from Refn, it is all shot quite well, and like all his films it reminds me of Kubrick's and Scorsese's style and storytelling. After watching these, Refn went from a director I had hardly known, to me looking up all the other films that he had done.


11. Exit Through The Gift Shop

If you don't know him, Banksy is the world's most famous graffiti artist. He started by spraypainting the walls of London and now he sells his work for millions. Google him and you'll find his work, it's amazing. What's even better is that he decided to up and make a movie, and that movie was brilliant. It starts as a documentary about the early days of Street Art and goes on to talk about how popularity and conformity affects the mass opinion on art. It's an absolutely brilliant case study by Banksy and I really hope he does more movies. After watching this, I immediately wanted to go out and see more of his work.

                                     #50-41  #40-31  #30-21  ...  #10-1

1 comment:

  1. 1xBet korean football matches,bet explained - legalbet.co.kr
    Bet 1xBet 1xbet app korean football matches,bet explained · Bet 1xbet korean football matches · Bet 1xbet korean football matches · bet 1xbet korean football

    ReplyDelete